Summer Camp PM Assistant
Part-time (25 hours per week), seasonal, weekday afternoons, as early as 12:00 PM, as late as 6:00 PM
Under the direction of the Summer Camp Director and Lead Camp Instructor, the afternoon Camp Assistant provides direct supervision of children for an 8-week summer day camp. Camp Assistants will assist in implementation of curriculum and activities for a variety of age group and will promote safe and healthy behavior in order to provide an active learning environment and a quality experience for children. In addition, Camp Assistants will help with overall Camp operations as needed.
1. Assists in the direction and supervision of children to help meet intended camp outcomes
2. Serves as a role model to campers, demonstrating the Y’s core values (caring, honesty, respect and responsibility) in attitude and behavior
3. Builds relationships with youth and their families that deepen their connection to the Y
4. Assists and participates in all camp activities and events
5. Maintains high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff
6. Works as an effective team member with fellow camp staff and attends and participates in all staff training and meetings
7. Maintains program spaces, equipment and records and controls access to Summer Camp facility
8. Provides parents with accurate camp information
9. Resolves camper and parent concerns whenever possible and informs Summer Camp Director of unusual situations or unresolved issues
10. Consistently demonstrates positive interaction and discipline with all children
11. Expresses clear expectations and holds children accountable for adhering to them
12. Helps children develop positive self-esteem and sense of self-worth
13. Other duties as assigned
1. Passion for working with youth and helping youth develop
2. College degree or currently pursuing college degree (emphasis on education preferred)
3. At least 18 years of age
4. Previous experience working with children (in a developmental setting preferred)
5. Previous experience with diverse populations preferred
1. Ability to lift 50 pounds using proper technique
2. Ability to plan, lead and participate in activities
3. Ability to swim 50 yards preferred
4. Currently have excellent health and be free of communicable diseases
1. CPR, First Aid, AED certifications (available through the Y)
2. Redwoods Institute safety trainings including Child Sexual Abuse Prevention completed prior to summer camp start date (provided after being hired)
3. Mandatory Reporter training (available through the Y)
4. EARN MORE MONEY! Drive a Camp bus and make as much as $10 MORE per hour. If you have your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with a passenger endorsement or would be willing to get this license, please note this on your application or contact Ryan Dunkel.
Please note: Must submit copy of physical, completed within the past 6 months and required certifications prior to Summer Camp start date (Monday, June 5).
HOW TO APPLY:
Fill out an Employment Application and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to us at 601 Riverview Drive, South Sioux City, Nebraska 68776. You can also stop in at the Y and complete an application in person at any time during normal business hours. Please include current certifications.