Swim Lesson Instructor
Part-time, mornings and afternoons
The Water Safety (Swim) Instructor is a vital component at the Norm Waitt Sr. YMCA. Swim Instructors must possess the ability to not only successfully provide quality, direct instruction and motivate swimmers of all ages and skill abilities, but also provide our members and guests with top-notch customer service.
Swim Instructors do not have to be previously certified. The Y will train and certify all water safety instructors.
Swim Lessons vary in length from 30 – 45 minutes and are taught in a group setting. Swim classes are available for all ages, with the youngest class catering to those 6 months old.
A successful instructor isn’t just someone who swims well. The successful swim instructors must have satisfactory stroke knowledge as well as the ability to communicate with swimmers of varying ages and swim skill degrees. Swim instructors must be able to plan lessons, use time effectively and efficiently and be prepared for any last minute changes. The ability to adapt to change is a must. A successful swim instructor is able to soothe the nerves of a novice swimmer and gain their trust in the water.
Interested? Contact Cailee Aquatics Director, 402-404-8439 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Instruct swimming lessons as assigned in accordance with Y guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly
2. Maintain and complete paperwork and keep accurate class records for each student
3. Develop positive relationships with members and class participants and provide motivational support and guidance
4. Communicate with parents/guardians when appropriate about the progression of students
5. Attend all scheduled shifts and staff meetings as scheduled
6. Clock-in and be on deck 15 minutes before class starts in order to prepare and get supplies ready for class
7. Encourage and correct students in their swimming abilities
8. Maintain constant supervision and control of class at all times
9. Organize and put away needed class equipment. Report damaged equipment
10. Follow all Y policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Complete incident and accident reports as necessary
11. Enforce all pool rules in a courteous yet firm manner
12. Encourages member and parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers
13. Train and supervise class aides as assigned
1. Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED and Basic First Aid certification within 30 days of hire date
2. At least 16 years of age
3. Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with Y standards
4. YMCA Swim Instructor certification or equivalent
5. Previous experience with diverse populations preferred
Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child.
HOW TO APPLY:
Fill out an Employment Application and e-mail it to email@example.com or mail it us at 601 Riverview Drive, South Sioux City, Nebraska 68776. You can also stop in at the Y and complete an application in person at any time during normal business hours.