WHERE WE ALL STARTED
Established in April 1886, the Sioux City YMCA operated in a former church until its first facility was built on the corner of 7th and Pierce Streets in downtown Sioux City, Iowa in 1892 for less than $50,000.
In 1956, the Y moved to a brand new facility at 722 Nebraska Street, following a successful capital campaign that raised more than $700,000. It replaced the outdated building two blocks away, and included a separate entrance for boys and men and two floors of overnight residences.
The Nebraska Street facility was home to the Siouxland Y for more than 50 years, but as the facility aged and community needs changed, the now Norm Waitt Sr. YMCA broke ground on a new facility just across the Missouri River in Scenic Park, South Sioux City, Nebraska. The new 62,000 square foot, $11 million facility opened in January 2008.
With more than a century of serving the Siouxland community, the Y has impacted thousands and thousands of lives, inspiring members and participants to achieve greater wellbeing through healthier, more active lifestyles. Today, Y’s around the world serve more than 20 million youth, families and individuals providing opportunities for youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
THE YMCA IN GENERAL
The YMCA (Young Men’s Christian Association) began in Great Britain 1844 in response to the needs of young men seeking refuge from the streets of London during the Industrial Revolution. Since then, it has grown into a global non-profit organization focused on helping people of all backgrounds reach their potential.
The Y is responsible for the inventions of:
Volleyball (originally called Mintonette)
Group Swimming Lessons
“Bodybuilding” (modern fitness workouts)
Read more history