Established in April 1886, the Sioux City YMCA operated in a former church until its first facility was built in 1892 for less than $50,000. In 1956 the YMCA, moved to a brand new facility at 722 Nebraska Street, following a successful capital campaign that raised more than $700,000. It replaced the outdated building two blocks away, and included a separate entrance for boys and men and two floors of overnight residences.
The Nebraska Street facility was home to the Siouxland Y for more than 50 years, but as the facility aged and community needs changed, the YMCA broke ground on a new facility just across the Missouri River in Scenic Park, South Sioux City, NE. The new, 62,000 square foot, $11 million facility opened in January 2008.
With more than a century of serving the Siouxland community, the Y has impacted thousands and thousands of lives, inspiring members and non-members to achieve greater well being through healthier, more active lifestyles. Today, YMCA’s around the world serve more than 20 million youth, families, and individuals providing opportunities for youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.