STRENGTHENING COMMUNITY IS OUR CAUSE
At the Y, we strive to build healthier communities by bridging social and economic gaps while offering a safe, inviting and welcoming place for our entire community.
It is important to know, the Y is not just a place to work out or a place to learn to swim or shoot hoops, but the Y is an organization that fills a need where others can’t. We’re here for EVERYONE!
At the Y, there are no barriers, no judgments, and no limits to what a person can do. Offering a place where people can come as they are and strive for greatness is what the Y is all about.
Everyone has a story and we’d love to share our very own CEO’s Y story.
My name is Rhonda Robson and although I had a good life; my faith was strong and my family was growing, something was still missing. Needless to say, I was struggling in life. BUT on Tuesday, January 2, 2001, I found what was missing… the Y.
I was a stay-at-home mom needing a place that accepted me for who I was: unsure, self-conscious, overweight, and needing to feel accepted and to belong. I had very few friends and needed to feel a part of something bigger than myself. The Y helped by giving me a safe place to build lifelong friendships and gave me confidence as I met my personal health and wellness goals.
The Y was, and still is, a place that fills the gaps in my life and set the foundation for personal and professional growth. It has allowed me to strive to be all I can be.
Through those experiences, I grew into the person I am today and am now the CEO of your YMCA. Before that day in 2001, I would have never imagined I would be where I am today.
So you see, the Y is so much more than a gym, we work through vital programs to strengthen the foundations of our community; one person at a time, one class at a time, one season at a time and one scan at a time. The Y is a community.
Join us to keep the Y healthy and sustainable for years to come. Give to the Annual Campaign!
The Y. For a better you. For a better me. For a better community. For a better country.
For a better Us!
Rhonda R. Robson, CEO
Norm Waitt Sr. YMCA
• 202 Y Summer Campers found fun and learning at Y Camp with 90% of campers maintaining and improving math and reading skills.
• 2,600 kids enjoyed Y Youth Sports while incorporating fun, sportsmanship and skill development.
• 505 children received swimming lessons and water safety instruction at the Y.
• 829 Active Older Adults found a place to belong and share in health, wellness and friendship.
• 87 Prescription Health participants maintained quality of life and found support through Y wellness programs.
• 15 LIVESTRONG at the YMCA cancer survivors found strength and comfort as they focused on wellness and new beginnings.
• Finally, the Y awarded over $335,000 in youth scholarship, membership assistance and program assistance.
To learn how you can give to support the Y’s annual campaign and programs, call (402) 404-8439 or follow us on social media @nwsymca.
Give. Join. Volunteer.
The Norm Waitt Sr. YMCA has been an essential part of the Siouxland community for over 125 years. As a diverse non-profit organization, all members, volunteers, staff and contributors are joined together by the shared commitment to youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Y strives to provide programs that build a healthy mind, body and spirit for all!