Sports & Recreation
PUT THE FUN BACK IN SPORTS!
Y Youth Sports programs provide a wholesome, values-oriented atmosphere where all children are given the opportunity to play!
The purpose of Y Youth Sports is not only to teach sports skills effectively and in a fun way, but also to teach life skills – helping children today to become more effective adults tomorrow. We emphasize and reward character as much as physical development.
The Y is a community leader in offering quality youth sports, programs that discourage winning-at-all-costs and instead encourage fun, skill development, fitness, teamwork, fair play and family involvement.
We run leagues year-round for preschoolers – 6th graders.
Sports currently offered include: Basketball, Soccer (outdoor and indoor), Flag Football and T-Ball.
Get your kid active and in the game! You can join in, too. Y Youth Sports are not possible without volunteer coaches. No experience is necessary and the majority of our coaches are parents with a similar philosophy to the Y: sportsmanship, fun and skill development are primary goals; winning and losing are secondary. The responsibilities of a coach include promoting the Y philosophy to players, making sure all children get equal playing time, attending a coaches meeting and using yourself as a model of sportsmanship and fair play.
The Goals of Y Youth Sports:
1. Building self-esteem and confidence
2. Teaching social skills – values, communication, human relations
3. Teaching physical skills, fitness and health
4. Developing responsibility and decision-making skills
5. Enhancing leadership skills in youth and adults
6. Building relationships among peers and between parent and child
7. Supporting and strengthening family life
8. Creating fun experiences for children and their families
The Y believes that character development and focusing on our core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility. We believe that these four values are an essential element to all sports programs.
As a result, sportsmanship is required from all participants, coaches and spectators at all times.